While you are waiting let's talk about coffee

Over the last few weeks I have read quite a few article surrounding coffee.  Some good, some bad and some very ugly.   Even though I'm not quite ready yet to discuss where I have been and what the future road looks like, perhaps a coffee discussion is in order.

Ghost of coffee past

Honestly I'm only a very recent coffee drinker.  My go-to drink in college was always Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper.  As I got older and tried to lose weight I switched over to diet mountain dew or diet dr. pepper.   Part of the reason for this is that neither of my parents are coffee drinkers.  Honestly I  never new how to even make a pot of coffee until say I was in my thirties.

I personally always like the flavor of coffee flavored food/beverages but never drank "regular coffee".  The closest thing I would have to coffee would be a pumpkin spice frozen coffee drink or other similar drinks.  Eventually after a while my wife and I bought a k-cup machine and started down the k-cup path.  However unlike most people I drank my k-cup's without cream or sugar.

During the k-cup period I got "hooked" on Starbucks.  Unlike most people my favorite Starbucks drinks were either tall/grande blonde roast or a grande vanilla latte made with non-fat.   I still to this day will grab a latte, however my Starbucks habit is gone.

The next part of my exploration which was about five years+ ago was going towards drip brew.  Now I really didn't know anything about coffee and did the normal mainstream thing.  Mr. Coffee machine using Folgers or Starbucks blonde roast(pre-ground) at home.  Its during this period where I started to phase out of drinking diet soda and went towards drinking only plain coffee on a daily basis.

Finally towards the end of the Mr. Coffee phase something happened.  I had wanted a new coffee maker something better that what I had and then started to learn that there was a world beyond Starbucks and Mr. Coffee.

Specialty Coffee - Oh My

A quick google lead me to sites like thewirecutter.com and the Speciality Coffee Association of america (SCAA).  I quickly learned that drip coffee makers could be certified and buying whole bean coffee will taste better.  This I admit changed my whole perspective on how I made, drink and bought coffee.

I started to research what type of drip coffee make to use in the mornings.  I ended up with a OXO on 9 cup coffee maker.  I then purchased a real entry level grinder Barazta Encore.  During this time, I learned that coffee should be stored airtight (I use a Friis container) and ground right before brewing. It took a while for me to transition from pre-ground to mass market whole bean, but I made that transition.

During the transition to whole bean coffee I would buy coffee from local roasters.  Those included Goshen, Kaldi, Park Avenue and Stringbean.  This lead to the next transition where I no longer cared completely about the cost but rather the flavor profile of what I drink.  If cost was an issue I would still buy mass market Starbucks whole bean coffee which is at least 25% cheaper than what I currently buy.

My daily grind

After about 18 months, I have ended with what I call my daily grind routine for coffee.  My equipment setup still consists of the Oxo on 9 cup and the Barazta Encore.  Everyday I wake up grind about 49 grams of coffee which is brewed against 887 ml of water(30 oz) as recommended by the maker of the coffee machine.  My primary roast that I drink is Stringbean Ethiopian True Blue.  It's a light roast that's just awesome.

Beyond the drip

More recently I have ventured into brewing methods beyond the drip.  I currently have experimented with cold brew, french press and pour over.  My current pour-over setup uses a Phoenix70 or C70 Ceramic depending on my mood.   Perhaps in another coffee discussion we can talk more about these and some other interesting coffee adventures.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radio Silence

Green/Sustainable CRM